Doctor of Philosophy in Economics
Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration(Finance)Read more
Masters of Arts in Economics
Master of Business Administration(Strategic Management)
* Attended many high impact short courses on leadership
* Maximized value addition and return on investment in family led businesses to ensure generational survival. Through skillful team leadership, some of the businesses have quadrupled their top line performance as well as returned impressive EBITDA and cashflow.
* Conducted several business transfomation assignments for making businesses investor ready, and creating appetite for external business take over
* Conducted several cost management assignments to improve business operational ratios, and management efficiency ratios, and overall return on investment
* Managed to fund raise for equity, debt, trade finance and grants amounting to millions of USD
* Current pipeline funding deals for equity, debt, trade finance, and grants amounting to millions of nine digits USD
* Modeled various capitalization structures to recommend optimal financing alternatives
* Developed several confidential Information Memorandums, teasers and valuation models to validate performance outlook and guide transaction rationale for potential acquirers, shareholders and management
* Conducted coordination oversight for merger due diligence and post-merger integration of a major retail player in Kenya
* Conducted a human resource audit leading to a change management assignment that witnessed radical alignments of the organizational structure and culture.
* Developed an organization-wide performance management framework that resulted to a performance oriented culture leading to better quantitative and qualitative results.
* Developed an organization-wide training and development action plan which resulted into upskilling and better employee performance
* Recommended and introduced employees engagement forums which improved uptake of employee innovations and better management of organizational dynamics
* As a Director in-charge of private sector development in the Government Economic Council, I coordinated and participated in development of various public policies mainly on private sector development which led to improved competitiveness of Kenya’s private sector
* On Public-Private dialogue matters, I managed to negotiate and develop collaborative engagements with various private sector players which enhanced escalation and uptake of private sector matters within policy.
* Led in the process of benchmarking with the most competitive countries in the world and assisted in the development of appropriate policies and related matters to achieve competitive advantage for Kenya
* Facilitated in the identification of gaps in Kenya’s competitiveness both externally within COMESA/EAC and internally among different regions and sectors.
* As a technical advisor on competitiveness matters, I provided input in the identification of required interventions to fill identified policy and strategy gaps.
* Helped to improve use of existing networks and systems as well as suggested new ones to enable leveraging to be done on Kenya’s competitiveness.
* Lead facilitator on study report on foreign direct investments in Kenya (2013)
* Lead facilitator on baseline study report on markets infrastructure development in Kenya (2013)
* A key validation expert on Kenya’s strategy for East Africa regional integration in year 2012
* Significantly contributed in the review of the Public Private Partnership framework for Kenya (2012)
* Contributed in the development of the Kenya Vision 2030 second Medium Term Plan
* Significantly contributed in the study report on use of credit guarantee schemes for economic growth and empowerment in Kenya (2013)
* Significantly contributed in developing policy framework for harnessing natural products sector in Kenya (2012)
* Contributed in the development of Labour Productivity Policy for Kenya (2011)
* Think tank member on improving Doing Business in Kenya (2011-2013)
* Technical expert contributor on development of cluster development policy for Kenya (2011-2012)
* Served in many Government technical advisory taskforces and committees on various macro-economic matters of the Country
* Successfully supervised and graduated many PhD graduates
* External examiner for many PhD Dissertations and Masters Theses
* Widely published in many peer reviewed Journals and white papers
* Academic Counselor in Finance, Accounting, Commerce and Economics at Indira Gandhi National Open University
* Senior Scholar at University of Lusaka
Premier Healthcare Group
Spearheaded the group’s investment in a greenfield start up tier one hospital charged with operationalizing, streamlining and turning around all business operations. Coordinated and implemented the approved business model and gave oversight for the development of high-quality, cost-effective, and integrated clinical programs for the hospital and specifically responsible for the development of the functions of finance, operations procurement, ICT, marketing, product development, public relations and stakeholder management.
ICPAK (Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya)
Lead in the development and execution of the long term strategy with a view of creating enhanced stakeholder value. Ultimately engaged in day-to-day management decisions and implementation of long and short term plans. Direct Liason between the Council/board and management. He communicated on behalf of the Council to stakeholders who included, employees, members, Government authorities and the public
National Economic and Social Council of Kenya
Lead in reviewing policies meant to improve competitiveness of Kenya's private sector by ensuring uptake of private sector proposals into public policy. He benchmarked the best practice and the best in class in private sector development and thereof proposing strategies for deepening the enablers of Kenya's Vision 2030
Postbank Kenya, Kenya Post Office Savings Bank
Lead in maximizing the return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. Ensured legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. Financial advisor to the CEO and departmental heads on all financial matters of the organization.
Housing Finance Bank - HFC, Kenya
Responsible for the cost and general accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash-flow, payroll and risk management. Financial advisor to the CEO and departmental heads on all financial matters of the organization.
The Aga Khan Hospitals
Responsible for good financial health of the organization by deploying financial management strategies for superior returns on all assets and investments. Financial advisor to the CEO and departmental heads on all financial matters of the organization.
Published in Peer Reviewed Scholarly Journals & Theses
Peer Reviewed Scholarly Journal Articles
Sindani, M. W., Muturi, W. & Ngumi, P
Effect of financial distribution channels evolution on financial inclusion in Kenya. International Academic Journal of Economics and Finance, 3(3), 148-173
Anthony Mugetha Irungu, Prof. Willy Muturi, Dr. Tabitha Nasieku, Prof. Patrick Ngumi
Effect of Asset Tangibility on Financial Performance of Listed Firms in the Nairobi Securities Exchange , Journal of Finance and Accounting
Wanjau, B.M., Muturi, W.M., & Ngumi, P
Does firm size moderate the influence of corporate transparency and financial performance of listed companies in East Africa? International Journal of Current Research Vol. 10, Issue, 02, pp.65152-65159, February, 2018. ISSN: 0975-833X.
Wanjau, B.M., Muturi, W.M., & Ngumi, P
Influence of Corporate Transparency Disclosures on Financial Performance of Listed Companies in East Africa. Asian Journal of Finance & Accounting ISSN 1946-052X 2018, Vol. 10, No. 1
Ngahu, T.M., Muturi, W., Ngumi, P., & Kwasira, J
Influence of Financial Risk on Mobilization of Infrastructural Finance through Public Private Partnerships at the National Treasury in Kenya. nternational. International Journal of Business Management and Economic Review Vol. 1, No. 04; 2018ISSN: 81-4664
Sporta, F.O., Ngugi, P.K., Ngumi, P.M., & Nanjala, C.S.
The Effect of Operational Efficiency as a Financial Distress Factor on Financial Performance on Commercial Banks in Kenya. The International Journal of Business & Management (ISSN 2321–8916)
Ngumi, M. P., Kazungu, K., Mutasa, F.
Effect of Herding Behaviour on Performance of Nairobi Securities Exchange. International journal of Economics and Finance. Vol. 5 (8) PP 1-20.
Gichure, J.M., Muturi, W.M., & Ngumi, P.M.
Relationship Between Collateral Requirements and Access to Finance by Small and Medium Enterprises in Kenya. International Journal of Economics & Finance (IJEF)), volume 2 (1), 71- 86. ISSN 2105 6008.
Idowu, A.A., Muturi, W.M., & Ngumi, P.M.
Financial incentives and financial innovation adoption in Nigeria (2005– 2010). Vol 2(4) pp. 25-34. ISSN: 2985-8860. Pyrex Journal of Business and Finance Management Research
Idowu, A.A., Muturi, W.M, & Ngumi, P.M.
Paradox of Using Interest Rate as Financial Incentive for the adoption of Financial Innovation and National Productivity in Nigeria. Pyrex Journal of Business and Finance Management Research .July 2016 Vol. 2(7), pp. 50-57 ISSN: 2985-8860
Muchiri, J.M., Muturi, W.M., & Ngumi, P.M.
Relationship between Financial Structure and Financial Performanceof Firms Listed at East Africa Securities Exchanges. Journal of Emerging Issues in Economics, Finance and Banking (JEIEFB) An Online International Research Journal (ISSN: 2306-367X) 2016 Vol: 5 Issue: 1
Muchiri, J.M., Muturi, W.M., & Ngumi, P.M.
Pecking Order Theory Test of Firms Listed at East Africa Securities Exchanges. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting www.iiste.org ISSN 2222-1697 (Paper) ISSN 2222-2847 (Online) Vol.7, No.3
Dalla, O., N., Muturi, W., Ngumi, P.
Effect of Bank Size on The Level of Non-Performing Loans in Commercial Banks in Kenya. International journal of Economics and Finance. Vol. 5 (8) PP 21-32.
Idowu, A.A., Muturi, W.M., & Ngumi, P.M
Financial Innovation and Fraud Risks in Deposit Money Banks in Nigeria. EPRA International journal of economic and business review. Volume 3 Issue 12 Dec 2015
Gakure, R., & Ngumi, P.
Influence of bank innovations on income of commercial banks in Kenya. Prim. J. Soc. Sci. 2(3): 249-258.
Maureen, G.W., Kiragu, D.N., & Ngumi, P
Open source and open standards in e-commerce. Prim. J. Soc. Sci. 2(1): 190-194.
Gathua, P.K., Ngumi, P., & Kiragu, D.N
The relationship between executive compensation and risk among commercial banks in Kenya. Prim. J. Soc. Sci. 2(1):
Njeri, M., Muriuki, J., Ngumi, P., & Githii, J.
Factors influencing adoption of feed conservation technologies in smallholder dairy farms in Mathira East District of Nyeri County in Kenya. Prim. J. Soc. Sci. 2(7): 374-401.
Ngumi. P., Wambugu, A., Kimuyu, P., & Gakure, R
Exports and economic growth: The case of Kenya. Prim. J. Bus. Admin. Manage. 3(4): 950-959.
Kuria, K., Ngumi, P., & Rugami, J.
Factors affecting rental income tax compliance among landlords in Kilifi municipality in Kenya. Prim. J. Bus. Admin. Manage. 3(5): 997-1008.
Memorable Books & Publications
Mung'aria Primary School
Githumu Primary School
Kigumo Bendera High School
Githumu High School
Senior Chief Koinange High School
Likoni High School
Daku Secondary School
Kiborgok High School